I was Extreme Gamer on CPC Zone back in the day(silly egg avatar > Dizzy)
Anyway, I posted this on Xyphoe discord to a different Gryzor(egg on face) but didn’t want this to sink into oblivion as might be of use thought wise.
It probably more likely if it was done in an archived state to new forum or just to a subdomain << which removes major headache.. Not simple but doable. Ignore stuff like avatars its the data being available that is relevant.
Take a sample set of your old database .sql backup. Lets say work with 6 categories and ten posts per cat.
rename table rows and columns to reflect the database structure of the new forum db. If you need to enter a column inbetween 2 columms there is a sql command to do that so that the query doesn’t fail on select query
It been an extreme long time thinking about sql for me but if you know someone very long standing in the community(who you trust) with up to date knowledge and expertise. I say its well doable and if thought out right AI like claude might just make it a helluva lot easier.
Its all done by hand on a localhost server, per se. The reason I thought of a subdomain for it as people can just post links from it to continue discussions and while its WIP can be locked up via .htaccess once deployed semi live etc
Right, off to get tipsy now. Good to see the place back.
Yeah, started working on the restoration of the old forum today a bit. Only some light reading to remind me how it was set up to prepare the new server accordingly. So hopefully we’ll know within days. Emphasis on hopefully
I’ve been messing for like 20 mins on the wiki application section and a fair few .zip files download. Sadly, some just get a 403 error. But I’m rather impressed how many actually download.
I know Discourse the company has a migration service but it’s possible they already have a script for the old forum software and maybe they share that script under the AGPL.
@Typhon I promise not to get into a licensing discussion here too
Talking about Ruby and wayback machine. I had a try at downloading the whole archived website using waybackmachinedownloader last weekend. I started with this version. It has install instructions.
I ended up on this fork
I think I got blocked as I in too many requests and no delay as just 403’d a lot after a while. Maybe something had changed.
It was like 99,000+ files or something. It could take a long time. snapshot gathering not to long but I’m still 403’d so not sure whats happening. I did manage to download some files before the 403 stuff happened
This information might already be somewhere on the forum, but I can’t seem to find it.
I wanted to know if messages from the old forum will be imported or accessible in an archive somewhere, or if they are completely lost.
One can use PayPal.Me . However I’ll add (at some point) subscription levels to the forum as well. Only benefit will be, as in the old forum, that the donors will have a special decoration in their avatar.