Ubisoft Zombi+

Code & Logic Involvement

Hybrid (AI generated key routines; human assembled/edited)

Assets & Pipeline Involvement

Build tools / Asset conversion scripts

Project Notes & Prompts

Claude Opus 5.5

I recently saw a video by “Old School Beautiful” about creating a game using AI (and I think some people discovered “Retrodev AI” through it), which really made me want to give it a try.
So, I signed up for a ClaudeAI subscription for €21 (I’ll cancel my Disney+ subscription, i’m sure my kids will understand) and spent the whole week testing it out.

My goal was to have it use cpcteleraNext (included AT3 music) with some specific assembler code, so i gave it access to the framework and all my existing projects.
I started by asking it to create a simple shoot-'em-up, which it did without any issues! I gave it a few improvements, and it launched WinAPE on its own to tweak things until it was perfect.

But I’d had another project in mind for a long time: I have the Pascal source code for Zombi DOS version (thanks to the fantastic work by ergonomy_joe on Abandonware France) and I wanted to port it to cpcteleraNext.

And yes, I know Zombi already exists for the CPC :wink:

I’ll spare you the details, but it successfully created a cpcteleraNext project for me with the same structure as my other games, including all the extracted assets.

I then polished the game myself, including improvements i had already made to the DOS version (Zombi - Abandonware France).

The improvements :

  • The version requires only 64KB to run and one side disk (thanks to ZX0)
  • Intro image by Titan
  • Spanish language support added
  • A few extra messages and the opening dialogue (matching the manual)
  • Reduced the number of icons to 9
  • Added front enemy sprites during combat
  • Second button added to cancel actions
  • Red outline around characters when they are in the same room
  • Indication of allowed directions
  • Automatic hand-to-hand combat
  • Punk corpses sprite as humans

Here the new version of Zombi (always a fantastic game).
Honestly, the capacities of this AI is incredible, it can do anything.

Zombi.dsk (199.8 KB)

8 Likes

I’m hoping this is a joke! Along with:

:wink:

To be fair though, I will give it a try soon, and compare it to the original which I very much enjoyed back in the day.

The fact that you hand-edited it is great, knowing how to do that must make a big difference too.

1 Like

Subtle differences, but very interesting as an exercise. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Incredible, hope wich you can create a HURLEMENT+ with same system.

1 Like

Your are right and i’ll do it, it will be a little different because the DOS code (always extract by ergonomy_joe) is in C. And having scrolling will be nice.

1 Like
3 Likes