Games converted for the GX4000 (or created for) - The topic

Ok guys, after some months of silence, I am taking the liberty of starting a new thread to follow up on the old one, though the original concept belongs to Remax, who launched the project back in 2015.

You can still read the old thread here for reference: Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

However, this is the place to be from now on. With new flash cartridges like the PicoGX and GX Snapper Plus, the GX4000 is seeing a wave of new projects—and CPC game conversions are, of course, part of the mix.

All GX4000 fans (and everyone else, for that matter) are invited to join this thread to stay updated on all new CPC game conversions, whether commercial or homebrew.

12 Likes

And I’m happy to open the show with an upgrade. Just before what I call “The Big Crunch”, DARKGATE told me about a flaw in our conversion of Strider with a full life bar at the start of the game rather than only 3 points as expected. This is now fixed and available here thanks to the work of Urusergi, as usual :

STRIDER

from U.S. Gold

Controls :
J1B1 = Sword/Fire
J1B2/J1UP = Jump/climb
Pause button = Pause/unpause

Modifications for the GX4000 version :

  • Wait for fire on title screen,
  • New title screen by iXien
  • All game keys patched,
  • Pokes : Unlimited time, lives and energy

Strider.zip (365.0 KB)

11 Likes

Yay! So good to see the project alive!

1 Like

Ok found it :smiley:

Here we goooo.

1 Like

And the legend goes on!

1 Like

I’m still here :wink:

3 Likes

yesss I’m back :grin:

I’m glad to see the forum is back and this thread has been kept alive. Just doing a test post for now. I have a conversion of Melbourne House’s Fighting Warrior I will post at some point which I finished just after the last forum disappeared. It’s been good having a break from fiddling with the Amstrad but I have missed it!

4 Likes

Good to have you back​:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi everyone, Let’s pretend nothing happened :innocent:. There was a request a few weeks (or months) ago, so—thanks to @Urusergi 's mastery, and a nice new crack from @nich —here it is:

STRIDER II

from U.S. Gold

Controls:

  • J1B1 = Sword/Fire
  • J1B2/J1UP = Jump/climb
  • Pause button = Pause/unpause

Modifications for the GX4000 version:

  • Wait for fire on title screen,
  • All game keys patched,
  • Pokes : Unlimited time, lives and energy

Strider_2.zip (188,2 Ko)

8 Likes

And at the same time, @XeNoMoRPH had a very good idea asking to @Urusergi to patch :

ALIEN THE XENOMORPH

from Capasoft

Controls

  • J1LEFT/RIGHT = Move left/right
  • J1UP = Climb ladders
  • J1DOWN = Climb down ladders / Crouch
  • J1B1 = Jump
  • J1B2 = Spit acid

Modifications for the GX4000 version

  • All game keys patched
  • Pokes - Unlimited lives

Alien_The_Xenomorph.zip (199,1 Ko)

9 Likes

RONALD IN THE MAZE

from Dabzy

RolandMazeGX4000.zip (467,8 KB)

5 Likes

Let’s keep the summer spirit going a little longer. Thanks to a very clean crack by @Nich and @Urusergi’s talent, here is:

BEACH VOLLEY

from Ocean

Controls:

  • J1B1 = Action for player one
  • J2B1 = Action for player two
  • Pause button = Confirm new control redefinition on menu

Modifications for this GX4000 version:

  • New title screen based on Atari ST version by Brueggi
  • Wait for fire on title screen
  • Main menu modified
  • All default keys patched
  • Poke : Win every point for player 1

Beach_Volley.zip (362.4 KB)

8 Likes

Ohhh used to love this game although it was far from perfect…

1 Like

Yes, same here. I’d wanted to be able to play it comfortably on the GX4000 for a long time. It’s so cool that Nich re-cracked it for us and that Urusergi was able to patch it. I think that, despite its flaws and glaring lack of depth, the game has a lot of charm thanks to its distinctly 80s visuals, summery atmosphere, and pick-up-and-play nature.

1 Like

Just Get 9

Here’s the excellent Just Get 9 by @cpcitor

  • J1B1 to select options on the menu.
  • J1B1 to bring up the pause menu during a game.

Just Get 9.cpr (512.3 KB)

7 Likes

Hi @slider271 . Thanks for doing the conversion and posting it!
I tried it on cpcec with cpcec -m3 -k0 -g4 Just_Get_9.cpr and it works well. I also notice that the intros were skipped, which suggests it’s kind of a snapshot-based porting rather than a firmware-based?

The game should be easy to port in non-standard setup (WiFi boards etc) since I took care of using only standard firmware calls in the loading routines.

IIRC @CraigsBar already played it on a real GX-4000. He even hinted me about the “pause” key of the GX-4000 being mapped to the “P” key of a full CPC keyboard, which I covered in patch 3 of the game (see thread in the old forum).

I’d like to know how both of you converted it, even if it’s only “I followed the process on that webpage” or little more.

I just tested Just Get 9 on my GX4000, and it does indeed appear to be Patch 3, which allows the menu to be opened using the P key in addition to the ESC key. However, it also seems that access to the pause menu has been patched to include Fire 2 as well. If I can permit me, you intro is nice, but on a videogame system like the GX4000, it’s better with the game directly launched :wink:

1 Like

Yes, patch 3 does this. Fire 1 performs an action, fire 2 escapes (which calls menu during the game). On both joysticks.

Noticing that the intro was suppressed in the conversion indeed raises the question whether it’s better that way. Your feedback is another data point for it, thanks. :ear:

1 Like

Maybe a version replacing “[ESC] shows menu” by “[2/P] shows menu” would be perfect on GX4000 :face_savoring_food: By the way, very nice game :smiling_face_with_sunglasses:

1 Like