Can we get a "mark as read" button in the thread overview page?

Hi,

on looking through the unread threads I found, that it is a little bit hard to just mark a thread as read, if I am not interested in it. I need to enter the thread and then scroll it down to make it read.

However I would prefer in the overview page to just have a button next to the other buttons to just mark it read or to not interested, so that it will not return to unread when someone posts an update.

This is the view I am talking about and the place where I would see the icon… obviously the pinned message would not be the right message for that exercise.

Also in the Category overview I cannot identify which categories have unread topics. And also I might not be interested in certain categories, so would be good to exlude them from popping up on the “unread” list.

  1. Ok so actually you’re confusing Unread with New. The New tab has all the latest posts, read or not. If you go to Unread, you’ll only see a handful of posts AND there’lll be a “mark as read” or Dismiss button at the bottom.
  2. To stop a Topic Returning to Unread (Mute it):
    1. Click into the topic.
    2. You do not need to scroll to the bottom, just look at the timeline on the right side of the screen (or the notification bell icon at the bottom of the screen on mobile).
    3. Click the notification box (which likely says Tracking or Normal) and switch it to Muted (or press the keyboard shortcut m). Once muted, the topic will never appear in Unread or Latest again.
  3. Exclude Specific Categories from “Unread” Entirely
    1. From the Category Page:

      Navigate to the category you want to hide. Look in the top-right corner of the category header for the Notification Bell icon. Click it and select Muted.

    2. From User Preferences:

      1. Click your user avatar in the top right → Profile → Preferences (gear icon).

      2. In the left menu, select Tracking.

      3. Scroll to Categories → Muted, search for the categories you want to hide, and click Save Changes.

As you can see, it’s a matter of playing around and looking at stuff :wink:

Oh … yes it does. I am from 71 - so probably I am used to forums like the old one :smiley:

Well as I’ve said elsewhere - the new forum has all the functionality, just in different places sometimes!