Help transferring Batman Forever .dsk images from M4 to physical discs

I’m struggling to transfer Batman Forever dsk images to physical discs on real hardware, using M4 card. Both m4fe’s and RulezCharge’s disk transfer tools failed (Most probably because Batman Forever uses the Extended DSK/42 Cyls.)

Any suggestion?

1 Like

if you first format the disk with 42 cyls and then try to copy? just an idea

1 Like

The edition released back in the day by Batman Group comes on a PC-format floppy disk; you need a PC floppy drive connected to your PC, or you can use the DSK file with a Gotek drive to run it on real hardware.

2 Likes

i think @dodogildo wants to copy batman forever in 3" disks (2 is needed).

1 Like

I formatted with 42 sectors using Discology 6. Then tried to copy. Didn’t work either.

Yeah I know, but I want to run it on real hardware with physical 3 inch disc. Not gotek.

Try this

You could also ask Rhino, if he comes again in the new forum. Unless it is somekind of secret. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’ve done it twice, but with USIfAC II and ULIfAC, both support large disk formats, so if you have a 3.5" disk drive connected to CPC 6128 (along with the board) you can transfer the single large dsk image of the demo to 3.5" floppy disk using a simple command |DSK . Of course you can also transfer the multi disk version to 3" disks too.

1 Like

This is what he wants. Strange though that he couldnt copy with diskology. Unless the settings needed tweaking.

Nice idea. I’ll try that. Thanks

I mentioned it to Rhyno, and he told me: “…for CPC 3-inch disks, you have to write the 3-disk version (one disk + one side)… track 0 is standard, with 9 sectors, while the others have 10 and use a different order for faster reading… arnoldemu handled the whole disk setup.”

2 Likes

Not sure if this has already been solved, but my method of getting this onto 3" disk would have been to use a PC with a 3.5" drive to copy it across to a 720KB FD with CPCdiskXP, then attach the 3.5" drive to an Amstrad 6128, and copy the disk you’ve created from drive B to drive A using a copy utility such as Xexor.

I also carried out some disk copies using CPM, but this was all done around 10-12 years ago.

I’ll scroll through and see if you’ve solved it yet… if not I’ll take a look at how I can do it from an M4 if that’s doable…

…also… double check that you have the 3 x 180KB images as Xenomorph linked here.

I expect that you already do, but just in case…

Sorry I missed your reply. No, I couldn’t manage to copy Batman Forever to 3" physical discs using only a CPC (with M4 and/or Ulifac) whatever I tried (including the suggestions on thread). And yes, I did check the linked 3 x 180Kb images, with no luck.

Just to also suggest our own disc software toolkit (which hopefully might come in handy for users doing similar tasks in the future): Simulant CPC Disc Toolkit for Amstrad - fix or patch games to load from Drive B

:floppy_disk: :+1:

2 Likes

A commercial disk utility? For some reason, I like the idea​:grin:

1 Like

This is because you are just as bonkers as me big G! :wink:

But the idea is long-term support and development, so I decided to make it a professional commercial product.

I hope the users enjoy its features!

2 Likes

You mean I will be able to transfer Batman Forever .dsk files from M4 SD card to 3" physical discs using your toolkit? Please elaborate and I’ll buy it instantly. :ghost:

I just tested those discs and they won’t copy yet, currently our toolkit Version 1.0 only has a standard Fast Copy (handling the normal Vendor/System/DATA CPC disc formats).

The good news is our Raw Copier is nearly ready which will be in v1.1 and bring a bit more power to the copying features. This will clone discs with irregular and custom-formats like the Batman .dsk images you’re trying to copy to 3" discs.

1.1 should roll out later this week, again buying the software does mean you’ll receive future versions at no extra charge. So please stay tuned and this toolkit will then be able to get these discs copied without problems.

One thing the toolkit (and other disc programs) can’t do currently with .dsk images is change their format type (this is a FlashFloppy/Gotek limitation currently, where dsk images need to be first prepared and then their format type can’t be altered but can be copied over or files copied to.)

2 Likes